Friday, August 21, 2009

Zaheer khan interview on comming series

New Delhi: Zaheer Khan is back in India after undergoing a major surgery on his bowling shoulder that has put him out of cricket for at least six months. CNN-IBN caught up with the pace ace for an exclusive chat on Monday.

Reporter: What's your medical update? How are you feeling now

Zaheer Khan: I am feeling good. My arm is out of the sling now, it's been more than three weeks. Things are looking positive. The first part of the rehab is over. I am happy with it. Now I am looking forward to the second part now.

Reporter: How long does it take now for Zaheer Khan to be fit for cricket?

Zaheer Khan: It depends on my recovery. I can't say in numbers in terms of how many weeks (to be fit again) but I have to give the basic time for the muscles to heal. That's the situation now. I have to go back to South Africa for about six to eight weeks to get my rehab and get my muscles strong. I have to wait for the doctor to gime me the go-ahead to bowl.

Reporter: You injured yourself when you fell on your bowling shoulder during the IPL but you got operated only in the second week of July. Why this time gap?

Zaheer Khan: I have been consulting with Mark Fergusson. Surgery was the last option. There is one thing about injury in sports is that it's always tricky and you always have to take the call as a sports person about what to do.

When I consulted with a doctor there during the IPL, it wasn't that bad and the scans weren't showing much. The doctor did tell me that somewhere in your career, you may need to undergo a surgery but it wasn't on the cards then. He was taking a conservative approach. He had put me on to strengthening exercises, which worked really well for me.
But after the Twenty20 World Cup was over the little niggling pain was persistent, which made me rethink and the strengthening program I was following was not really helping because I was restricted in throwing and all.

The big question was that you don't want to let your team down when you come back and you don't want to be restricted because in a way you will be letting your team down in a way. That's when I decided to undergo a surgery.

Reporter: Are you disappointed that you are going to miss a lot of cricket?

Zaheer Khan: That's part and parcel of the game. It's not in my control. I have to deal with this now and the next few months are very crucial for me. I have to do all the right things. I have to do my rehab well and have to be fitter and stronger when I come back in the game.

I really don't like to take breaks. I like to play a lot of matches and keep myself going. That is what has helped me in the past but this is one way for me to take a break from cricket.

Reporter: Who do you think will shoulder the responsibility during your absence?

Zaheer Khan: I am sure representing India is enough motivation to do well. The team is there is win matches for India and some one will surely put his hand up and do the job for the team.

Reporter: Without being critical, do you think that the BCCI needs to have a more professional set-up in terms of physios, medical consultants and fitness trainers?

Zaheer Khan: That's part of the process. We have had fitness tests ever since I have made my debut. We have had fitness assessments and fitness tests throughout; so I think we are spot on there.

Reporter: Zaheer Khan is considered one of the most eligible bachelors. So any plans there?

Zaheer Khan: Right now, I am just paying a lot of attention to my shoulder.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related links