Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Sreesanth - 'I had quite a bit to say to him after that'

The first sledge I enjoyed
Mark Boucher had just hit me for a four to get to his half-century in the first innings at Durban last year. I pretended to be tired, began to breathe hard and bowl slowly. Then, suddenly, I surprised with him with a 143kph offcutter that bowled him. I had quite a bit to say to him after that, since I had been sledged a lot by him when I was batting.

The first rap on the knuckles 
During the Johannesburg Test one day I was late to board the bus by seconds. When I reached the dressing room, I got a 15-minute dressing down from Greg Chappell about punctuality and discipline. "You've got to be disciplined at this level to succeed."

The first hero I met
Allan Donald was next only to Dennis Lillee for me, and I had followed his career closely. When I told him so, he laughed and said, "Now you are playing at the same level I played at. Make sure the youngsters look up to you one day as you look up to me now."

The first dream I realised
I had always wanted to get my Test cap from Sachin Tendulkar and that's what happened. Sachin 
paaji gave me the cap in Nagpur [against England]. He said, "We are all playing for this [India cap]. Make sure you use every opportunity to learn and enjoy the game." Those last five words are writ large in my diary.

The first time I got nervous
I was nervous in my first Test. I came up with a 108kph delivery first up. It was displayed on the big screen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related links