Friday, August 21, 2009

It's a dream to be No. 1 batsman: Gambhir

Last Year around this time, Gautam Gambhir got his chance to make a comeback in Test cricket in Sri Lanka and he grabbed it with both hands - he has scored an incredible 1500 Test runs since that day. And in just a year's time Gambhir sits on top of the ICC's list of Test batsmen. He spoke exclusively CNN-IBN.

Reporter: Number one Test batsman, how does it sound?

Gautam Gambhir: It feels good to be the number one Test batsman in the world. I never thought that I would be the number one Test batsman ever. It's like a dream come true but I have never played to be number one. I have always wanted to play well for the team and contribute it in a big way and the rest follows. The most important thing for me is to contribute to make my team win

Reporter: Apart from a few hiccups it has been a dream run for you in all forms of the game. But the number one rank must be special because it tells the world that this player has quality and he's here to stay.

Gautam Gambhir: If you ask any cricketer they will tell you the ultimate goal is to play Test cricket and do well. If you see in the past whosoever has done well and has become a great has a good Test record. That is the ultimate cricket. That is where your skill and your temperament, every thing is tested to the core. I have always wanted to do well.

I remember at one point I was branded as a one-day batsman, who is very flashy and stuff. But like any cricketer, my dream was to do well in Test cricket.

Reporter: Last year around this time, you got into the Test team. Did you think within one ear, you will be at the top?

Gautam Gambhir: I never thought that and I will never think so in the future either. I have always said this that the Sri Lanka tour was the turning point of my Test career, because making a comeback after two and a half years and that too touring a place like Sri Lanka and tackle (Ajantha) Mendis and (Muttiah) Muralitharan was a great challenge.

Coming back from Sri Lanka with runs behind my back was a big confidence booster. From there on I realised I can do well in Test cricket and with three big Test series coming up - Australia at home, England at home and tour to New Zealand. I knew that I can set my Test career if I do well through out the year.

Reporter: Tell us about the difficult times when you used to play in the domestic cricket with people branding you just as a good domestic player?

Gautam Gambhir: I have heard a lot of people saying that he has been given lot of opportunities. But he is only good at domestic cricket and he is a domestic king. But deep inside me I knew that if I can do well in domestic cricket, then why not in international cricket.

The only difference between the domestic stage and the international cricket is your mental toughness. But playing a lot of domestic cricket makes you tough. When you have to go through the grind and the facilities are not that great and you have to work hard, it makes you mentally tough. And that is when you realise the value of the India cap.

I think wearing the India cap is the most difficult thing to do. For me I will always be the kid who didn't have it easy. So I respect it very much.

I have heard a lot of criticism at times. Somebody told me the higher you go, you will find more critics. I enjoy every moment of it. And if some one asks me today I will tell them that all the struggle was worth it.

Reporter: You have been really lucky from the point that this team has had a great run. Do you think the Twenty20 was a big disappointment, especially for you because you were really charged up?

Gautam Gambhir: Disappointments and laurels are part and parcel of the game and that is what life is all about. You will never be at the top forever. It was not disappointing just for me but for the entire team.

I can say only one thing we were more disappointed that any other person in the country. Some people said that we did not look disappointed, but it hurt us where it hurts the most. Not being able to qualify for the semi-finals was a big blow but that is what life is all about.

I can only assure you we had given everything we had.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related links