Saturday, July 4, 2009

Andrew Flintoff Interview: England's world-class all-rounder

England’s influential Andrew ‘Freddie’ Flintoff has played 75 Test matches and despite enduring a series of career threatening injuries, including four ankle operations and knee surgery in May, he is back in the team again. He is hoping to return to the form that saw him voted man of the series when England won the Ashes in 2005. Australia are his next opponents at Cardiff on July 8 when the latest battle for the Ashes commences once more.

How is your fitness since the knee surgery?
It’s been eight weeks since the op, I’ve been working hard with Rooster (physio Dave Roberts). I have had three weeks with Lancashire and have bowled my overs, managed to score a few runs and I’m pleased where I am at this stage.

How do you see the Warwickshire game before the first Test?
It’s the final piece of preparation for the team and for me as well. I have played two championship games and three Twenty20’s so this last game is vitally important for form and also to bowl some more overs and hopefully to get more runs.

Do you miss playing for England more as you get older?
When you miss as much cricket as me, you do miss it. I’ve had two years rehab since 2005 so it’s been tough but the reason you do it is to put the England shirt back on and get the chance to play in an Ashes series. And I’m not far away from that now. As you get older you don’t want to miss much cricket because you don’t know how much you have got left in you.

Have the Ashes been in the back of your mind during your rehab?
When I was in the gym and trying to get fit again it was all about playing in the Ashes. I would have loved to play in the Twenty20 World Cup because it looked like a great tournament but the ultimate is the Ashes. You can have any tournament you want but for Englishmen, and I’m sure I speak for Aussies as well, to play in the Ashes is everything.

Was the 2006-07 Ashes 5-0 whitewash one of your biggest disappointments?
Of course that was the low point for me as a player, I experienced the euphoria of 2005 and then the disappointment of 2006-07. But it’s not all about dining out on those series it’s all about what happens over the next six weeks. I have put a lot of work in to get this far, I just hope I can perform.

How do you see England’s new-look bowling attack nowadays?
We have competition for bowlers, if you see the way in which Jimmy Anderson and Stuart Broad have forged this opening new ball partnership they have done fantastically well. Jimmy has always had the tools but now he looks like he has learned how to use them – he’s dangerous. Broady gets better all the time. The positions for the next seamer you have (Graeme) Onions who I played against last week and he’s improved out of sight and Ryan (Sidebottom) is bowling quick again. And then there’s myself, so it is exciting to have that competition, and we haven’t even mentioned Harmy (Steve Harmison) who is knocking everyone over. That makes for a strong team.

Were you always confident of making a comeback?
If I didn’t think I could come back and play the cricket I have played in the past or be better and get the ball down at a decent rate I wouldn’t have done it.

Have Australia come back to the pack since losing their stars?
I don’t think they have come back to the pack, I think others have got closer, if you look at how much the South Africans and Indians have improved. When you lose players of that quality it’s got to have an impact but unfortunately Australia have a knack of finding people to fill those voids. It’s going to be tough, we can’t underestimate them.

Are there any scars after 2006-07?
It was tough for a while afterwards but that is a long way off and there have been a lot of things happen in my life since 2006. So as for scarring I wouldn’t say there is a great deal there. I’m just looking forward to playing. The big thing for me is not only to play with confidence but it’s more important to enjoy it.

Is there an extra spur after 2006-07?
I can only comment from my point of view but going into an Ashes series I don’t think anybody looks back and thinks about that. It’s the biggest thing for an Englishman to play in so I don’t need any extra incentive to perform.

You are here talking at Edgbaston, a ground that brings the best out in you. Are you looking forward to coming back for the third Test?
It’s a ground I have always done well on, I’ve always done alright here. You walk out to the crease feeling comfortable because the crowd here does get behind you, it’s a great atmosphere and you probably can take something out of that. But I won’t just be relying on this being a ground I play well at so I will just rock up and get a few.

How do you see your batting nowadays?
The way I have played over the last few weeks I am confident of scoring a few runs. A few years ago I tried to get better as a batter and get technically better to play the perfect shots, which I will never do. I have now gone back to a method I trust and one that I’m confident of using so I will be going out there as a player being aggressive with bat and ball, relying more on instinct.

What number do you think you will bat in the Ashes?
I have had success for England at number six but Matty Prior has come in and is averaging over 40 so has stuck his claim on that spot so I am probably looking more at number seven. It would have bothered me a couple of years ago more than it would now. I’m just pleased to be playing, whatever spot I get put in I will just go out and bat. Six or seven I’m not too fussed.

Obviously Michael Vaughan has just retired, how will you remember him as a player?
The man has been England’s best ever captain statistically and my best years have been under him, he has helped me out and everyone who has played under him. He was unflappable. There could be mayhem going on all around him and he would just stand there as if nothing was happening, whether the side was 500 for none or 90 for nine. He always looked pretty poker-faced. He gave confidence to his team and I can speak for myself on that one, he helped me as a player and as a bloke he was a mate as well. He will go down as one of the greats of the English game.

Do you have any thoughts on when you will retire?
When you have missed as much cricket as I have and you come back into the side you want to enjoy it. I love playing cricket, it’s been taken away from me at various points in my career so it’s about cherishing playing every time you get an opportunity to do so, especially when you have got the three lions on.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related links